View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #28

So there is definitely something wrong with my carb. I took it out today and was able to make it about 3 miles and then things went south. I am seeing that if I open the full throttle (or more than 1/2) for an extended period of time, it will begin to bog down.

It gets so bad that it will start to stall and have trouble accelerating. Even if I just give it a little bit of gas, it will start to stall. I had to pull over at a nearby gas station. After being at the station for about 10 minutes running, I notice it will idle perfectly fine at 1500 RPM. So I waited and talked to some folks at the gas station. I used some carb cleaner and tested to see if there were any leaks and the engine did not race or bog when I sprayed it around the intake pipe or manifold, but I did not see anything like that.

I see that if I turn it off and let it "rest" for a moment or two, it starts up fine. After determining that it seemed to be stable, I try to make it home. I can ride it through all four gears if I give it minimal gas, nothing more than a 1/8th of a turn on the throttle. I can't make it over 35mph or it starts to bog down and hesitate.

If I start to give it more gas (more than 1/3 throttle), it starts to bog down even more and I'm reduced to a crawl. Eventually, I can't even give it a little gas before it stalls. It seems like I'm flooding the carb or something, but that is just a guess.

So I approach a hill and I need to apply more throttle to try and make it up the hill and I am seeing the hesitation and bogging coming on and I'm not even going very fast. I'm literally inching my way up the hill on first gear, trying to make it to the top. I have to pull over a few times as it stalls when I try to give it gas and I'm only barely moving.

So I'm stuck on the side of the rode trying to make it up the moderate hill, feeling like a chump. I end up turning off the bike for maybe 2 minutes tops. And when I crank it up, it starts fine and I'm able to ride at minimum throttle through all four gears and it is not hesitating (!). But as soon as I try to get over 30 - 35 mph (by applying more throttle) I can feel the hesitation start so I have to back off because I don't want to stall out again.

So by riding on minimal throttle and not going over ~ 30mph, I'm able to get home fine and it's running good with no hesitation.

I am thinking there is an issue with the main jet or the air fuel mixture.

So do you think I'm flooding it when I apply the throttle over 1/4 turn of the wrist?