View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 06:12 AM   #7

Progress so far:

Got the main part of one of them bent after the trial run. I could not find more of the tubing that I started with, so I found some 1/2" with .135 wall, a bit smaller diameter but I feel with the thickness it will still be sturdy. I get the feeling things are going to bend on tip overs and I just hope we can bring them back in and move on.

I was pleased with how well the final part of the bend went to reach the passenger peg bolt.

The next step will be to cut some lengths to go across the back to create the rear rack (narrow part). Some small, sturdy angle brackets will be welded to these cross bars and line up with the four holes on the rear rack. The wider part of the rack will support the panniers with a couple of hoops that will drop down directly from the wide part of the rack. They will also be supported by tubing across the back fender and a runner to the angled portion that goes to the passenger peg.

I feel good about the design. I feel like it may not be as useable as I thought if we have to carry a passenger but it will serve its purpose and I don't feel like its bad for a somewhat first time. I've made a similar towing rig before but not with bends, just cut and welded lengths of tubing.