Thread: Ssr xf250
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #18

1CYL the short answer is yes, but I will add a story here. By the time that happened the warranty was in the "parts only" phase. The 12 month warranty consists of 6 months parts/labor + 6 months parts only. At that time it was unlimited mileage, I believe SSR has put a mileage cap on their warranty now.

When this problem came up I had go from Vegas back to LA to drop the bike off at the dealer I bought it from. The dealer then took the bike down the street to SSR's headquarters where they looked it over and decided to do a new engine swap. The dealer said the stock motor was repairable but the engine swap was the fastest and cheapest way for SSR to get my bike going again. Maybe they had extra EPA/CARB test engines laying around?

The dealer brought the bike back out to Vegas a few weeks later which saved me another trip to CA, and SSR only asked that I pay $200 for labor for the engine swap. I should add that after some TU250 forum reading on cam chain tensioner adjustment, I now believe this issue may have been caused by a stupid owner tinkering(yes me) and not a defect in the bike. Whatever the case, I am grateful for the way SSR helped me. When it came time to re-register the bike in CA the DMV noticed that one digit in the engine number had changed, and said I needed to take the bike to Highway Patrol to verify the engine wasn't stolen. Luckily they changed their minds and decided it was probably a clerical error in the end!

Last edited by dh; 05-02-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: incomplete