View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #2

I plan on putting one in my hawk when the time calls for it. I put a lithium battery in my GL1000, and they do weigh about a third of a conventional battery. 16lbs to 5.1lbs in my Goldwings case, and honestly I could have gone smaller. Having a battery with 500cca in my bike is kind of entertaining though.

There are only a couple of things to consider with lithium batteries. 1. While improved over older designs, most LiFePO batteries are still not fans of colder weather - however running a load like the headlight for 30sec to a minute will cause them to warm up internally and bring back their cranking power. 2. They can be ruined if there is not sufficient charge voltage. Lead Acid, as long as it sees anything over 12 volts, is happy. LiFePO batteries want at least 13.8 Volts to remain happy, and usually no more than 14.8. Less than 13.8, and the life of the battery can be reduced. This is something most people overlook when they install these. A quick voltmeter test at the battery posts while the bike is running will tell you if the charging system is up to the task. Otherwise, you will be happy with the battery. I love the Bikemaster brand battery in my GL