View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #12

Why do I bring up other bikes on Hawk Talk

To me, a single is a single - no matter who made it or when. I'll make it even easier, an air cooled single is much more like every other air cooled single, then you would think. And what has been found to work on any air-cooled single should work on the Hawk single. Within reason. The development of air-cooled singles has been going on since 1900. What works on one of them works on all of them. Getting a more dense volume of flammable gas into the cylinder, and out of it after we have gotten as much work out of it as possible. If the engine has rigid enough crankcases to stand the power increase. Which the Hawk has. The Hawk engine has a very nice die cast head with very good porting. The problems start with the air box, then to the tube which connects it to the carburetor, and the carburetor itself. Through the head, everything is OK. Then comes the exhaust system, which is awful. Bubble gum welds inside the pipe, some kind of rag gasket between head and pipe, tiny catalytic converter restricting flow even more. We've discussed carburetor tuning, and so forth....ARH