View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 06:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
just seems to me something a little later with damping & pre-load adjustment but
still in the same style as the Hawk... ie.. DRZ250/400 , TTR250.
would have been a better option...
sure it would, at a much higher cost, the hawk is a trail bike, so not much sense going overboard, i paid $100 for the set and $30 for the bearings, i have a lathe so thats the extent of my investment.

these are MUCH more substantial and wont blow the seals on the first ride..
bought my hawk, took it riding, blew a seal first thing, got a replacement fork..
went riding agian this spring, blew both seals. and im not a big guy, i weigh 165.

these are not gonna do that, and they are much more advanced than the 40 year old tech on the hawk..

air bleeders and better valving by far, and most important.. THEY DONT SUCK.

hawks forks are a joke. and by the third bump would have emulsified all the oil and lost damping. just junk. I used to ride an xr250, I know what those forks can take, and the hawk is very much like an xr..

the xr and hawk use exactly the same size bearing, albiet ball bearings on the hawk and taper rollers on the xr.

also the front wheel and axle fit, i must machine a bushing for the axle clamping side and to center the wheel, but any other set would likely be more work to fit. ill also have to make caliper adapter, or buy a honda xr brake..

you coould buy forks, with the front wheel and brakes if you wanted say a set of husky forks on your hawk.