Thread: Bike fail video
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwam Jones View Post
Glad you are OK!

I laid my bike down in a similar fashion when I was taking a motorcycle safety test in High School in Golden, Colorado, in 1977.

We were doing the portion of the test where we were to ride up and down a straight line, with a person walking along the 'side of the road' next to us. At a certain point, the person was to jump out in front of us and we were to take evasive action.

I was on an asphalt surface, but it had some loose gravel on it. The guy jumped out in front of me, I swerved, and then applied the front brake. The front wheel began to slide; just like yours did. I made a mistake and grabbed MORE front brake, and then the gravel ended and the asphalt began. The now-sideways front tire grabbed and held, and I did an endo over the handlebars. The bike rode me for about 10 feet or so.

I ended up in the ER with a right hip popped out of its socket and road rash that ate right through my jeans from my right knee to my hip. The nurses scrubbed the gravel out with a wire brush and phisohex. Hurt like the dickens.

To this day, my hip kind of pops out whenever it feels like it. I have to sort of pop it back in when it does that. Doesn't hurt, but it does come out of where it's supposed to be. No scars, though, so I guess the wire brush did the trick.

Brings back memories!
Sounds serious. :(

Like 2 years ago my brother had a bike accident. He was riding fast in an old road, cars are rare there. But then he got a deer in his face. That stupid animal had a suicide jump, then my brother fell. After the hospital he cannot work for 3 months, he broke his leg, he almost broke his arm too + bruises. He is lucky to be alive.