View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersam91 View Post
I just received my Hawk 250cc yesterday. I bought it fully assembled. I'm not mechanically inclined AT ALL so any advice would be helpful. I put gas in it, charged up the battery it came with and tried to start it-headlight came on but clicked when I kicked it. I figured it was the battery, so I went and bought a better one-Got power with the new battery and the bike started with a few kicks.

But it won't stay running. It won't idle at all. It starts up and stalls. I have to rev the engine to keep it going.

Suggestions?
These carburetors do not come with fast idle cams, so it is normal to have to manipulate the throttle in order to keep it running until it warms up. After a couple of minutes, it should be warm enough to idle unasisted. So the drill is, ignition on, choke lever all the way up, open throttle 1/8th to 1/4 open, and start engine. Keep throttle on, and reduce choke to the halfway position. You can ride off, but don't put the whip to it as the oil is still cold. After about 30 seconds, or a half mile, push the choke lever all the way down. Ride around the block 2 or 3 times, and pull into your driveway. See if the bike idles. If not, let us know....ARH