View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichrisbot View Post
Question for you, are the maintenance intervals on this motor more on the racing side of the spectrum, or on the dual-sport side? I figure if they're squeezing more HP out of the NC250 compared to the RX3, it's probably going to wear quite a bit quicker, but I'm not sure how raced out this motor is compared to, say, an mx bike.
My opinion (just that) is that the tiny bit of extra hp this bike claims is only from a difference in fuel delivery because it doesn't need to meet the CA emissions requirements. After my trip I noticed that the exhaust outlet was fairly well coated in a thin black soot, as you would expect running a horsepower tune.

I think the rest of the motor is the same as the NC250 in the RX3- camshaft, crank, etc.. This motor is not at all "raced out" compared to the orange, red and blue offerings; these guys are all offering 250s with 40+ hp and 14,000rpm power bands. Even if the LXR250 makes 31hp at 10k rpm; it is much less stressed than most other 250cc mx style bikes. One of the big reasons that I bought this bike was the "big guys" bragging about "100 hour rebuild intervals" on the bottom end!! I don't want a bike that costs $9k and needs a new bottom end just as I'm getting it broke in!!

With the 1.7 quart oil capacity and triple filter screens this bike leans more to the dual-sport end of the maintenance spectrum. Most RX3 folks seem to be using about 2000 mile oil change intervals. For normal use, I would feel comfortable doing the same on the LXR250. Remember EFI does keep the oil much cleaner than our old carbureted bikes ever would.

For "extreme" use it might be wise to change it at 1500 miles or so.

I like to use a good quality oil that has the "MA2" rating for wet clutches. During our long ride, the bike went over 1500 miles without an oil change. The motor never needed any added, even with running hard and hot 9-16 hours per day. I carried a bit of spare oil, but my partners bike ended up using it all.