View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
"The first car I bought at a dealership (Ford dealer in Simi Valley, Cal.--forgot what the name was in '89 when I bought it) was an '86 Capri 5.0 five-speed manual car"
Its very hard to find a V8 Capri/Mustang from the 80s that is restoreble these days.
Back in the later 90s, the subsequent owner tracked me down to see if I wanted to buy it back. He had a crappy white paint job slapped on it (it was solid gray), the seats had a few holes in them, and it looked in poor shape overall. Somehow, it was never quite registered so I kind of still owned it, apparently. He wanted $2k for it, whereas I sold it to an acquaintance for $1500, lol. The registration was kind of confirmed when about a year later a salvage yard guy from an hour outside of L.A. in the so-called 'high desert' contacted me...I went to see the car out of nostalgia when he said he had it on his lot and I was the last registered owner (?!) and I thought maybe it had a couple dents and dings; the car was wrecked--it was still white. I was hoping it was salvageable at that point, but it was not meant to be, but I did still have my '93 GT. I later learned that the non- t-top Capri 5.0s were very rare. I could have sworn I read in 5.0 Mustang and Fast Ford magazine that only about 100 non t-top 5.0 '86 Capris existed when they did an article on a guy with one. Don't quote me, but Capris were rare to begin with, and any other one I came across had T-tops.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard