View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprewitt View Post
Nice! Ignoring the big price differential, what were the major factors in not choosing the RX3?

Keep in mind that the RX3 was a brand new unproven bike when I bought my CB-X.

For me it was going to be about $4500 for the RX3 because of the CSC upgrades I wanted. The CB500X OTD was $5499. They are cheaper now if you don't mind buying a hold over from 2016 or 2015. It also depends on your area too. Always shop around and play dealers off each other with the beat my price game. I am into my CB500X for $6000 with all the current add ons and upgrades. Most of which I would have done to the RX3.

I am a fat guy and I carry a lot of older heavier camping gear. I rarely ride the interstates but some of the areas I ride the speed limits are up there. I wasn't sure if the RX3 could handle hours of being run nearly maxed out and over loaded. When I was looking at the RX3, they were fairly new and unproven. I wasn't sure about the off pavement capabilities. While I don't actually ride off road. I do ride a lot of really old really rough dirt and gravel roads. The CB-X has been proven in that respect by other owners. There are also a lot of suspension upgrades for the CB-X. At the time, there was none for the RX3 except I think a shock and maybe fork springs from CSC. I can't remember for sure. It's been a few years. I keep bikes for a long time and get my moneys worth out of them.

Whatever bike I chose, it had to hold up to a year of constant riding around the US and Canada with as much gravel and dirt roads as possible. That ride is quickly coming up. The only thing that would stop me is if my health deteriorated more before then.