Thread: Tractor Mania!
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Fun little fact is that the Allis Chalmers is a twin machine to a machine built by Simplicity around the same time called the Wonderboy. What is unique about both is they came with either a steering wheel or a steering loop much like one would find on a bumper car which is more or less like using handle bars like this one is fitted now. One thought i have already kicked around is actually just getting another steering stem from a bike and fitting some BMX handlebars to it to gain that same knee clearance. Meaning i could set up the steering without fabbing anything really.. I can easily turn the front wheels lock to lock with the current bar on it. I am just concerned about the flimsy metal that the clamp on there now is made from. I will need to replace the fuel tank on it as there is a leak at the seam plus the fuel fill cap points straight up towards the engine shroud. I have noticed there are tanks for these engines with an angled fuel cap which is what this most likely had on its original engine. The machine itself is from around the mid to late 70's while the current engine was swapped onto it in the early 90s when the engine was brand new. The friend i bought the mower from has another 5 Hp briggs that i may grab from him as a backup for this unit. What is ironic is that these engines are the so called "Flathead" 5 hp that seem to be popular in both karting and mini bikes. Due to which there is a lot of aftermarket support for it in terms of performance upgrades. So i may actually play with this a bit to get a bit more out of one of them. See if i can't gain a bit more usable power out of the little guy.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)