View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 10:56 PM   #2

Have you set the drive shaft afire, yet?

I don't know what BMW you have, but I'd never own any BMW unless I won a lottery and had nothing else to waste money on. Seems everyone thinks the 1200 GS is the latest and greatest adventure bike, but it isn't, because there is no more Paris to Dakar. It was developed to race Paris to Dakar, all road and open desert. It does those two things better than any other motorcycle in the world does both. However, being so highly specialized, it actually sucks at just about everything else. Most people with $$$$ to ride around the world find out pretty quick that anything except highway and open desert sand those BMWs need trucks to haul them where the rider wants to go.

That is the way specialized motorcycles are. Race replicas go real fast, but are generally not real comfortable. Big touring bikes are oh so comfy, but really suck in tight maneuvers. Hardtail cruisers are great for bopping around town, but get ache quick on an extended ride. Some bikes do a lot of things, but not much really well. There is no motorcycle that is versatile enough to please everyone all the time.

So, the only satisfactory solution is multiple bike syndrome. I have 40 bikes, mostly collectables, some in showroom condition, some in boxes. Each has a purpose. For instance, I have 4 TW200s. First is close to stock, still 200cc 5-speed with only rejetting and o-ring chain, bigger tank, and soft luggage, plus a few picky things like aluminum bars and gel grips. 2nd is bored and stroked 276cc, ported and polished head, bigger valves, cam, EFI, custom exhaust, 6-speed trans and clutch from XT225, and all manner of adventure bike style luggage, and a custom seat to spoil my touche. Not that I need it, did a SS1000 on a stock TW200 seat. I just wanted it, and need no reason. Third TW is also 276cc with the XT225 trans and clutch, with an ATV tire on the bike and the stock 180/80-14 on the front, and triple discs. Fourth TW is a café style, 276cc, TT230R tans and clutch, 276cc, Mikuni carb, about 33hp, triple discs, Kevlar mags, and stripped to nothing. Those 4 and my RX3 are all licensed and ridden regularly. The adventure TW276 is very similar to the RX3, just a lot better at just about everything. However, it cost 3 times as much.

As an example of my collectors, I have 3 Harley XR750s. One is a dirt track style, same as Evil jumped. One is a road race version, never raced but stripped for parts, now completely restored, of which only about 18 were ever built. These two are in showroom condition. The third I just picked up, and it is in boxes. It will one day be an adventure bike, unless I die first.

So, you want to ride dirt track with a road racer or adventure bike, Daytona or Sears Point with a dirt tracker or adventure bike, or the Trans American Trail on a dirt tracker or road racer? Same bikes, but each has specific capabilities.

Therefore, keep your BMW as long as it serves a purpose for you that you can safely enjoy. Keep your RX3 with the same mindset. You don't have to choose.