View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #12

Welp...
Nearly two months later, and I'm still right where I was when I started.

I found a place about 45 minutes away that was willing to work on it. They said they fixed it, and everything seemed to be running ok, but it still isn't charging the battery ($150 for repairs and $50 for trailer rental all down the tubes). And then they told me it was 'impossible' to test the stator because they couldn't put the multimeter on it while they were riding it. (Even I know you don't have to ride it to test the voltage coming out of the stator, any more than you have to to test the voltage going to the battery from the regulator.)

Replaced the battery, thinking maybe I'd killed it in the mean time. (Another $60 down)

I've figured out how to get into the engine to replace the stator, but haven't found a suitable replacement yet to find out if that will even do anything. I'm *so* freaking frustrated at this point.

Someone who knows what they're doing could probably get this bike fully up and running for about $50-100, but I don't think I'm that person at this point.

On the bright side, I'm in a position to get a solid deal on another bike, previously owned by my wife's grandmother's boyfriend, and I'll be able to take that to a dealer if I need help with it. So, I think I'm going to try selling it as a 'project bike', or (worst case) seeing what a scrap dealer will give for it.