Thread: $5895 for RX4
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
GULP!

Still only wire/steel wheels!

They can or should by now have alloy wheels and common tyre sizes for these, the RX3 has alloys but a 15 inch rear being odd ball outside China
Spoke wheels are significantly more durable than mags. My TW200 pocket rocket has wheels of Kevlar and epoxy that weigh about 2-2.5kg, but if they had to survive low air pressure and a rock, they'd be dead. I've also had 3-4 rides ruined by people who lowered air pressure for dirt traction and broke metal wheels. That meant a 30+ miles ride to pavement, another 90+ miles to a dealer who didn't have the wheel, no time to set up camp so sharing a cheap motel with lice and bed bugs, getting online to find a local with the same model willing to lend a wheel, ride back to wherever the overly fancy and expensive failure is stranded, then doing the repair because most fools who ride bikes like that don't know how.

Roxy sees about 1% dirt. She still gets spokes and tubes. Boonie repairability is critical to me. Looking to go to wider rims to reshape the cross sections for better pavement performance and durability, but sticking with the same stock tire sizes. First chance I get to take Roxy on unpaved trip she'll get real DOT knobbies on steel rims.

If ever Roxy is facing 0% dirt, she will get billet aluminum tubeless wheels. I have access to the necessary machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
The RX3S and RX4 have a much bigger head stock bearing and wider spacing between shocks and wheel, cannot just fit - I was looking at it :S
How much bigger is the room for tires? I like fat tires. I've seen 110/90-19 and 150/70-17 batted about for the RX4. I'd like to see room for 130/90-19 and 180/80-16. Skinny dirt bike tires are for motocross berms and mini powerbands that have to keep the RPM screaming with wheelspin to make power. Fatter tires work better for unpaved roads under not racing conditions.