View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #52

Thanks, dude! I appreciate that. I just placed an order for most of the small things I need, less the dielectric grease, rearsets, and sealing washers. I'm gonna try and force myself to purchase some items like the grease and a tap wrench locally. Hardware stores and the like are easier to me because they have much more... structured and predictable social interactions; as long as you know the technical terms for what you want to buy, things tend to go smoothly.

I'm going to have to wait, as usual, to drill/mount/install the fuel return fitting on the fuel tank until warmer weather. First, I have to drain all the old fuel out, eliminate as much of the fuel vapor in the tank as possible (drilling into metal = risk of spark, fire, explosion, and free hearing test), figure out where on the tank is a suitable location that is unobstructed by the tank fairings, as flat as possible, near the fuel pump, and if possible around or above the 3/4 full level (the fitting I am buying is sold as a "...Hose Barb Fuel Tank Fitting", but I would still feel more comfortable with my family jewels merely inches from a gas tank with a fitting that is only some of the time submerged in fuel and thus, hopefully less likely to leak and make things go boom).

I'l also have to find out how I"m going to hold the nut on the inside on the tank while tightening the fitting; the normal fuel filler hole has a metal plate underneath it with holes much too small to fit my hands through. I could always take the fuel level sensor cap off of the bottom of the tank and hope my hand or at least a wrench fits up there...

Even once I get the package, I'm pretty limited to what I can do without the fuel tank and warm weather. At most, I'll be able to run the high-pressure line from the pump/regulator to the 4-way with the bleed valve and pressure gauge to the injector, semi-finalize the exhaust location so I know where I can put the o2 sensor bung, get said bung welded in, and drill/tap/install fitting for vacuum port on intake manifold.

I tried to renew my lic plate tabs today, but I would have had to stand in line in front of the "please take a number" for half an hour before I could even sit down to wait for my number to be called. I think there was 80 or so people ahead of me. That's a big fat NOPE. You would think they wouldn't be so busy on a Tuesday during work hours.

That's about it for today.
Attached Images

Last edited by glavey; 02-19-2019 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added image