View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #62

As much as I would like to be as frugal as possible during this project, re-using the CDI and coil from the aliexpress kit seemed to be a bad decision. As I said in one of my previous posts, I wanted to give this EFI conversion every chance at success. One of my character flaws is that I get discouraged very easily. Anytime (example: now, with the wiring harness) I have to go over something I've already done and put much effort into, I get the mental thought of,

"Oh come on! I just got everything together and I was 10 minutes from starting you up, and now I have to tear you back down again and re-do what I've already done."

I can foresee possible problems with the aliexpress CDI, causing me to have to tear down the wiring harness for a third time; using a possibly never-used-before-with-a-microsquirt ignition system, only having presumably one person a continent away for support with a small bit of a language barrier (he/she responds in english, but it can be a bit broken, but understandable at times), having the same person be the only source for a replacement, the CDI and coil are separate and larger in comparison to the gm coil, seeing the soldering quality in the ECU, the CDI is suspect, you get the idea.

If I use the GM coil; it is widely used with the microsquirt, probably available at a local auto parts store, has lots of technical community support, the microsquirt's hardware manual lists it as a possible ignition system option and gives the pinout for the connector, the coil ignitor and ignition coil are together in one small package.

TL;DR I think that the GM coil is the best bet for a reliable, replaceable, and easily diagnosed ignition system.