View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 01:39 AM   #1

Starting problems...help needed!

Hi Everyone:

Long story short, the bike will not start. I can't get it to turn over. I spent time this afternoon trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. JerryHawk250 called me and tried to walk me through some steps to diagnose this. I'm stuck so I thought I'd reach out to the forum to see if there's something I'm missing.

1. I charged the stock battery, put it in the bike, and here was the first result. .

2. I then hooked the up the bike through another battery. The result was the solenoid was buzzing like a little woodpecker. I knew nothing about this and didn't know what was going on. Jerry helped me figure this one out. So, I got the buzzing, but nothing else. The engine didn't try to turn over; just the buzzing or fast-paced clicking from the solenoid. Here's a video of the solenoid sound:

3. Jerry thinks the bike isn't getting enough power and he recommended that I check for proper ground and any loose connections. I followed the negative terminal to the ground wire, which is bolted to a metal plate that is then bolted to the frame (see pic below). I also removed the headlight so I can gain access to the bulk of the wire connections. I didn't find any loose connections anywhere on the bile.

4. The only wiring issue that I had was when I pulled the tank off. There is a green and yellow wire connected to the back of the tank, which I'm assuming are for the fuel gauge. That green and yellow wire are pretty short and the terminal those wires are connected to were not properly crimped, so the wires just slipped right out of the connection terminal. I went to the hardware store and made some extensions for those 2 wires. I used crimped male and female connections to connect the wires. Other than that, the bike looks pretty well put together, which makes it more strange to encounter an issue of the bike not starting.

5. I put the stock battery on my battery tender/charger (assuming it was dead because it couldn’t even get my lights to turn on). Surprisingly, it was not dead; a voltmeter read 12 volts while just sitting on the counter. The voltmeter also has a load setting to test the battery under load. Here's a video of that:

As you can see in the video, while under load, the battery goes to 0.

6. What else can be causing this problem and how can I fix it? Other than a weak or defective battery, what else can be causing this? Is the solenoid also bad?

7. I did order a new battery from Amazon and I'll get it on Friday.

Thanks everyone. Please help!
Attached Images