View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #92

I salvaged the voltage converter from my DIY bluetooth module and wired it up to the AFR gauge. 90% success! The arduino did what it was supposed to and the voltage converter didn't go up in smoke, however for some power-related reason, the arduino couldn't communicate with my computer. It would work when the voltage converter was disconnected. Just a small thing I'll have to be mindful of when updating the arduino.

The different voltage converter was bigger than the last one I used; too big to fit in the gauge housing, so I needed to elongate the gauge to fit all of the electric modules. I decided to cut the gauge housing in half and glue/tape/epoxy something between the two halves to make more room. I cut apart the plastic cover for some old blank DVDs and made a rectangular-ish shaped piece that I could use as the "filler" piece. After I dremeled the gauge in half, I taped the gauge pieces and the filler piece in place with electrical tape. I tried to use super glue, but the filler plastic was too shiny and slippery.

The gauge, as it is now, is about 90mm/3 1/2 in. deep and about 55mm/2 3/16 in. diameter. It will update the display and the LEDs 10 times/second. I found that any faster than that, I can't make out the numbers in the display. I'll probably temporarily mount it somewhere along the top of the speedo cluster so I'll be able to quickly glance at it while riding. I haven't decided exactly how I am going to attach the gauge to the speedo, but preliminary thoughts are either more electrical tape or zip tie to speedo case.

Sorry there isn't much in this update but my brain is kinda foggy right now and not that much really happened. Lots of thinking and planning about how to do certain things, but not much doing things. If for some reason the AFR gauge doesn't work in the form factor that it is in now, I have plans to make it much smaller, simpler, and blend in much better with the styling of the bike.

Except for tomorrow, the next 5 or 7 days look like good riding weather. Stay tuned...
Attached Images