View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Yes, it can be done this way. I have even tried it before. I still prefer the old fashioned remove and dump because I can leave the forks sitting inverted for a while and get quite a bit of the old fluid to come out. As long as the tube you are using can reach all the way to the bottom of the damping rod, it will get most of the fluid out, but it will leave more behind than if you would have tipped it over.
And if you change the fork oil twice, using the pump method you describe, it will have very little of the original oil remaining. Id measure how much you get out of each side. Sometimes they come from the factory with different amounts in each fork leg. They should have the same amount in each leg. 7 ounces per leg should do it, because the fork will still be "wet" with the old oil. I'd use Walmart house brand ATF, run the bike for a week, then change it again. You can either use ATF or something like Bel-Ray fork oil, which is more expensive. If you use ATF again the second time, then you have the option to change it again without feeling that you are lighting cigars with $20.00 bills....ARH