View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
My bike doesn't pull nearly that hard, takes a good minute to wind 4th gear out and you can't wind 5th out even going downhill. And I'm sure Dan's runs similar to yours. What octane are you running for the 10:1 CR?

Also you've got me convinced on the PWK30 for sure lol.

And Dan I didn't mean to hijack your thread, and would appreciate your thoughts on running the PWK30.
I don't mind a good hijacking if it is relevant and contains useful info.

As far as running similar, it does. The only thing I would say is different about mine vs. his is that mine pulls a little harder in the lower/middle of the RPM range and a bit less hard at the top end (but still winds out past 8000 very quickly). I would entirely put that down to the difference in the carbs - mine being both smaller and having an accel. pump - and maybe a tiny bit on the fact that I have even a little more compression than Jerry does (entirely by accident).

I can't really compare how quickly it goes through the gears because I am currently geared much shorter than Jerry is in that video. If Jerry threw on a 47 rear sprocket we could compare more directly. I get to 5th gear in a hurry lol. That is honestly why I am going to drop down to a 33 rear sprocket, to get myself back to the equivalent of a 17/45 and gain back some top speed and lower revs on the highway.

As far as the jetting on your PWK30, I am sure it is spot on. Running a smooth bore half moon flat slide, power jet aside, it is going to draw on the jets much differently and with less turbulence. That lack of turbulence will actually decrease the effective size of the pilot jet - a phenomenon experienced on real Mikuni carbs that run an under flow optimizer, where the pilot jet size is almost half that of a carb without it. It all has to do with the velocity of the air charge being much higher. Suffice it to say that our PZ30 clones are a turbulent mess by comparison.

Jerry, as far as the chain guide goes, I will get around to it eventually. It's actually not too bad, so I left it alone for now. I actually want to order a new one from CSC, get it lined up, and install it with a nutsert. The one on my bike is so hopelessly warped that I don't think I can save it/make it work.

As for fuel. Thanks to the extremely conservative ignition timing on these motors, even with 10.3:1 static compression I can run on 91 octane no problem, but I do try to fill with 93 whenever possible. 93 isn't available at every fuel station here, so 91 is what I tend to fill with the most. I also took care to smooth and polish my combustion chamber when doing the port work to ensure I had zero potential hot spots in the chamber.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124