View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 01:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
My SSR Buccaneer 250i has a top speed of 88mph with a smaller (80 profile) rear tire This is equivalent to 2 more teeth on the rear sprocket. Top speed was attained on a cool night, downhill, in a tuck. Speedo is off 6.15%, so that's 82.5 mph actual.

It cruises mid to upper 70s easily on the highway with this setup.

Also note I'm 250 lbs, so a lighter rider will have an even better experience with this bike.

Charles.
I like the Bucaneer and I wanted to get it but I also didnt want to dip into my fairly modest savings that much. That's a nice bike and a good top speed. I;m not sure I want to go too fast on a motorcycle although the more experience I have the better I'm able to shift and control it and the faster I'm willing to try going--at least on flat straights!

On a side note I just got back to Connecticut from visiting Daytona Beach Florida and the roads there are so much nicer, smoother and without potholes, and there are mostly long straight strips everywhere that I feel like it's an entirely different game for how fast I would want to ride my motorcycle a lot of the time down there vs up here. I think I would feel fine hitting 90 mph around town when there isnt traffic in Florida whereas in CT many many towns I wouldnt like to go much past 60 although Im sure there are a good amount of spots in CT I could hit the same speeds and feel very comfortable my point is those spots are everywhere in FL and there are even reflectors all over the roads to help see the lanes on a dark night. I found it very easy to abuse my rental car, when I was in a hurry and there wasn't traffic blocking me I was continuosly racing it to speeds I would have trouble comfortably, safely and easily maintaining for as long on many of the winding bumpy town roads and even the winding highways in CT where I live--On my way to the airport I had a 52 mile--90 minute drive to Orlando International Airport and I was just pushing it from 60-90 on mostly 2-3 lane each direction town roads and I flew up on a county sheriff when I was doing 90 in a 45 or 50mph zone but very luckily I noticed he was a cop just as I was 50-100 feet away and about to fly past him!! oops..so I hit the brakes and the cruise control and lost a lot of time I had made up previously but in the end even getting stuck in some of the only hard rain I saw all week and stuck in slow traffic half the drive plus another 7 miles driving at the speed limit with the cop and a 10 minute gas n pit stop and some more lights and medium traffic the last dozen miles near the airport I still made it the 52 miles in 90 minutes.It was really awesome down there with high temps ranging from about 80-90 degrees with awesome breezes all day and overnight lows from the mid 60s to mid 70's..I visited the Daytona International Speedway today, where they have car and motorcycle races with 30-31 degree banks on much of the tri-oval track.I wasn't one to watch races before, although I like anything with an engine and i like and respect speed, but now i would love to take an RV and a pitbike into the middle of the Daytona race track and tailgate while watching the cars or bikes fly by!.There is a lot of fun stuff to do in Daytona and Florida in general and as long as your a/c in your car and house is working well, then it's good times in my book. I wish I had a motorcycle to ride while I was down there--next time I will! I'm seriously considering moving there

"Life's too short not to enjoy it-So's my China Bike!"-Me

Last edited by sirmaxwell; 05-05-2019 at 08:33 AM.