View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaxwell View Post
Wow it sounds like you had a ton wrong/ defective on yours. So far mine is alright mostly--I am maybe starting to have the shifting issue you mentioned because a couple times after a full stop I go into first then quickly try to go to second as usual and either the gear indicator goes from first to nothing indicated and I have to hit the shifter again to get the indicator to come up and at least once the bike (I think the gearbox specifically though not sure) then made a sound like something was rubbing the tire which nothing appeared to be hitting any tire and the noise would go away after letting the bike cool and riding again---OR from a stop I put it in first brap, shift to second brap, then shift to third and again the indicator either goes from second to nothing or goes to third briefly then back to second.But this has only happened a couple times and im hoping that my new adjsutable clutch lever coming tomorrow or a clutch cable adjustment MIGHT help me out. not too sure

I felt like my bike was also really jerky when I first got it--like winding up speed/rpms in 2nd gear it sometimes lurched as the rpm climbed even though I was holding throttle steady and similar would happen as I deccelerated---but as it breaks in it seems like I have way less of that--at first I thought it was just carb related--now Im not sure if it was the carb breaking in/malfunction, the engine power train or drive train/transmission break in getting smoother or if it was a syptom of my fueling issues--and Im halfway sure I could track down the answer without advanced tools, but Im definitley too lazy to do that.!

I have a good amount of car knowledge, or at least I used to, as I don't remember how much of it I've forgotten!!-- 15+ years ago i started my work at Mieneke for 2 years doing everything from oil changes and brakes to engine and transmission replacements and swaps--Although I had most of the Automobile Series tests passed handily under my belt, I had very little experience, so usually on almost all the harder, larger jobs I would be assisting or overseen to some degree by a Master Technician who was at very least a Master in the A series tests but often the main few guys I worked with either had tests or Master status from other series and all but one of them had decades more experience than me working on cars at the time--anyways my point is that my motorcycle knowledge is way less than my decent car knowledge, I only recently started riding 2 wheelers on the regular, so I really don't know too much and I haven't even looked up anything about the Ninja 250 or seen it up close in person or never even watched a Youtube about any Ninjas. I have seen posters of like the Ninja H2R and growing up as a kid and teen I always liked the Ninjas I saw parked, usually in cities and when I was impressionable thought the riders were instantly cooler by stepping over the bike and twisting that throttle, shifting those gears,disappearing rapidly, and occasionally popping a wheelie lol.

Why do you think a Ninja 250 isn't a good starter bike? just wondering, since like I said I pretty much know jack. What would be a good starter bike for someone like me (who rode under 20k miles on scooters and recently only a few hundred combined miles on dirtbikes and this new Vader--plus tiny amounts of mostly dirtbike riding years ago) to get after this Vader or in addition to the Vader?

The problem with shifting is most likely not related to the clutch lever cable. On the FB clone groups others talk about these shifting problems being related to the gear box itself. Really, these are truly garbage. Especially the drive train.

A good beginner bike for someone who has driven dirt bikes and scooters on the street; A Yamaha MT-07