View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 08:22 PM   #1

The PZ30B "Pumper" thread.

Just decided to throw something together for anybody that is considering this carb, but has never dealt with one like it before. If you are considering a Mikuni clone, then I invite you to a great alternative with some performance benefits for any of your throttle twisters out there.

The Carburetor in question is known, as the title suggests, as a PZ30B. Often listed as a PZ30 Accelerator Pump carb on websites like Aliexpress and ebay. In this video I explain the main differences between this carb and the standard one as well as how to do the basic setup on it.

As I mentioned in the video the nozzle for the accelerator pump should be aimed down the middle of the carburetor for proper function. If you test yours and you find that it doesn't, and like mine was spraying the side of the carburetor bore (blue line in pic). You will need to adjust it so that it is similar to the green line.

How you would do that is start by removing the bowl of the carburetor, and then using something soft (a bit of wood or plastic) you will want to pry or tap out the jet. Just be careful not to bend it. Go as gently as you can and apply even pressure. It should eventually pop out.

Once the nozzle is out you will see a notch on one section on the bottom of the jet (yellow arrow). This notch is there to denote what direction the jet is spraying. Simply turn it so that it faces the back of the carb at your desired direction and then press it back in with an appropriate bit of rod or a small roll pin punch. If you want to test the spray pattern before putting the bowl back on, I find that a can of carb cleaner with a straw on it works well by spraying up through the bottom of the nozzle, and its a good way to ensure it is clean.

One other thing you may run into with your pumper carb is that the throttle cam for the accelerator pump has a bit of play in it and may bind up or cause the throttle to get stiff. If yours does this, a thrust washer big enough to sit on all sides of the cam between it and the bracket is a great way to solve the issue for cheap. It will also ensure that the throttle cam returns and hits the stop on the carb body.

The great thing is, with this carburetor you can simply use the same jetting you may be running on the stock style carburetor and transfer it over. It is possible to get two different styles of pilot jets, but the same sizes will translate over between the styles. The difference in how the bike rides/feels is pretty awesome, and hard to describe. Awesome is a good word for it.

https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; 05-12-2019 at 11:22 PM.