View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #860

Larry, your bike sat around for a long time so you absolutely do want to change the oil right away. Do you have filters? It probably doesn't need one, except that the oil is old in age not miles, and could have built up contaminants. It surely has the original oil fill in it and hasn't even had the break-in oil change. Your plan to change both again at 500 seems reasonable.

As far as level, lean it over on the side stand; does the level appear to go down? If not, then it's probably significantly overfilled. I'll put pics below of mine on the side stand (no oil visible) and center stand (oil at half).

If there's any chance you'll be in Phoenix and need a filter, I'd be happy to give you one. Otherwise ordering a supply from NZ is the best way to go. He'll sell you a kit with a bunch of filters and some spare o-rings and sealing washers at a great price. You're also welcome to bring the bike for a little time working on it, I have a full shop and have gone through a lot of the bike a few times now.

On oil choices, I've been using Rotella T6 which is cheap for a synthetic and it works great, seems to be staying clean.