View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 10:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancadam View Post
I almost did as well. Was very torn, but like the Brozz more and more each day. Great value.

Sorry for the disappointment Ski_Rush.
I did a tire on a Bashan before and was pretty aggressive with the tire irons and never saw something like this. I had one try/grab with the tire iron and it didn't just scratch the rim (which I wouldn't care about) it put a gouge in the metal. I'm getting it's cheap a$$ steel? Now I understand why guys report turning their rim into taco's.

Either way, I've had it with this rim and this bike. I've owned it since February and only rode it one time. That's it...one time. And, the hop in the wheel has been there since I took the bike out of the crate. My dumb mistake for, 1) buying the bike from Manny, and 2) thinking the hop was in my head and not really looking into it until it was too late and now the 3 month Manny parts warranty is expired.

I'd be real dumb to dump another $200 into this bike just to get another stock rim. First, it's $200! Second, the stock rim will likely be another piece of garbage like this one. It's not like the new rim is going to be made of better steel. It's going to be the same crap metal used to make this rim.

I understand that my opinion here is not going to be a popular one on this forum. Oh well. The truth is that this rim will likely never be round and the hop will be there. The rim should be replaced, but frankly, I don't think the bike is worth spending an additional $200 for a friggin rim. That's ridiculous.

And, they make these bikes with such funky wheel sizes that I can't just walk into a dirt bike store and buy a replacement rim. There are a lot of factors at play when buying a rim above and beyond the 17" diameter. Buying a custom rim from a legitimate manufacturer is $500+. Which is about a third of the cost of the bike...way over the hump of not being worth it.

The other day, a buddy of mine invited me to go dirt bike riding with him. He bought a 1994 Yamaha 230 enduro. He's had it for a a few years. He knows I have a new enduro. I had to decline his offer and and explain that my brand new bike has a $h#t rim that's not round and I can't ride my brand new bike. He was bewildered and I felt like a moron. It's embarrassing actually.

To all those who have an Apollo and they think they're riding around just fine on their bikes...I say, wait until you need a new tire and you try to remove the old one. That rim of yours will cripple within itself.