View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1a5115 View Post
Hi,
Just before Christmas my son and I got a new Hawk 250 from RPS in Texas. He is the main rider and has enjoyed upgrading the bike. It has about a 1000 miles on it and starting seriously burning oil. He had put one of those "cone" air filters on it and had been doing quite a bit off road riding lately with his friends.
I pulled the top off the engine and the piston and rings were badly worn. I thought I would have trouble finding parts but I "googled" CG250 piston and was amazed at how available they were. From a ebay seller we got a new piston, rings, wrist pin and retainers for 15 bucks, FREE shipping.! I was also able to find the Honda service manual for the CG engine.
I honed out the cylinder and when we got the new piston it was identical to the old one. Put it all back together last night, runs great and no oil smoke.
I think if you are going to use your bike off road or in dusty conditions you might want to stick with a paper filter.
Hope this helps someone,
Paul
Plain and simple... You won't rebuild the top end of a jap bike with new parts mind you.... For 15 bucks. I'm glad it worked out for you

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Last edited by dpl096; 06-11-2019 at 08:48 PM.