View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #3

1. Oil is cheap. I'd change it unless you are convinced the PO already did so. The filters are not compatible with anything I have found locally. I bought a bunch from CSC.

2. Before you go to changing sprockets you should ride the bike and see if the stock setup meets your needs. The countershaft sprocket is torqued down quite a bit and I found it to be a real PITA to remove. The rear sprocket is much easier. If you change sprockets you may as well install a good aftermarket chain. The OEM chain is a known cost cutting item. The engine does not generate much oomph until it hits about 4K rpm. You can gear the bike so that 4-7K range is anywhere you want it. You will trade between torque at low speed or at high speed, your choice. You cannot have both.

3. Big bore kit. Once again, ride the bike stock. I find the stock setup to be OK.

4. I use my GPS to calculate speed. My front wheel is a 19" (as found on the 2018 bikes?) and the speedo is fairly close to reality. Of course that changes as the tire wears.

5. Overheating...I'm in coastal Virginia where it gets too darn hot in the summer. Even with stop and go traffic I have never had a problem with overheating. Yes, the fan will come on and the hot air blowing back is noteworthy but the truth is I wimp out long before the bike overheats. The dual radiators are quite good at shedding heat. FWIW, I actually found that my bike runs too cool most of the time so I installed a higher temp thermostat.