View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDog View Post
I have no experience with the RX3 (yet) but I do have quite a bit of experience with big bore kits, and my advice is don't. The bottom end and transmission were not designed for more power. More power equals more stress on engine parts. In every case where I have installed a big bore kit, it has noticeably shortened the life of the engine, decreased reliability, and in some cases broken the engine. I gave up. My feeling now is if you need more power, get a bigger bike where the whole engine and transmission is designed to handle the power it makes.
Actually, the NC250 motor was designed with more power, which you will find in the Gasgas, Pitster Pro and others. The NC250 in the RX3 was tuned down for the US market, EPA and CARB. The RX3 comes in at about 25+ HP and the same motor in other bikes I believe has 32(?) hp. I'm sure someone will chime with the exact stats.

The big bore kit on the RX3 does nothing for the top end. The EFI and ECM really limit the bike. What it does do is wake up the mid-range and most importantly, it makes between 3500-5000 RPM's usable. These bikes are anemic below 5000 rpm's in stock form.

I agree with you regarding really pushing the power out of a motor, especially since a modded motor is usually ridden harder but in this particular case, I really don't think the big bore kit even stresses it past its original design HP. I wish it would! ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350