Thread: Umug
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #7

Sunday.
Although I slept like a log, I woke up with a pounding headache. No alcohol was involved. Well, some was, but not enough for a hangover. I have a mild allergy to onions and the backpackers stew I had for dinner was loaded with them. Normally I’d pop a couple of Advil before going to bed when onions are involved but didn’t that night. Popped a couple when I got up, though.

Turns out Lee and I have the same routine when camping. First ones up. Start the coffee brewing in the hope that it will be ready by the time we get back from the morning trek to the outhouse. By the time coffee was ready today, though, it started raining. I packed up all my gear, sat in my tent on my chair and watched the world go by while sipping coffee and waiting for the rain to end. It was a light rain and ended soon. Took down the tent, shook it out, packed it up, and left.
I decided to take a different route home. US63 to US61 in Red Wing, MN to US14 in La Crosse, to WI140 to WI67, bypassing I-43, to US14 to home.
Five minutes after leaving Ellsworth, it started to rain. It wasn’t bad at first, but the farther south I got, the worse it got.
I didn’t feel like breakfast before I left but was getting peckish about Wabasha. I stopped at a familiar cafe but there was a Little League tournament in town and the place was packed and understaffed. After only getting a coffee and my order taken in forty five minutes, I cancelled my order, paid for the coffee and ended up with a McDonalds sandwich in Winona.
By the time I got to Cross Plains, WI, west of Madison, the rain finally ended. I was wet in places I didn’t know I had. With the rain ending, it became a sauna and I was wearing my Aussie drover coat. I was dying.
I stopped in Evansville, WI for lunch and a cold pop. Made one more gas/pee stop in Clinton, WI then finished up at home. Where it started raining again.
Only one pic taken because of the rain. Ending mileage. 345 for the day. 848 round trip.

Next years plan is to hold the event in Appleton, WI. A lot closer to me .

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts