View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravin01 View Post
My storm shows over 14 volts when running but over 12 sitting, That's what my USB/Voltmeter reads. The stock light was dull but I did a upgrade and now it's blinding bright. The stock battery is still on the bike, I don't really know if it's the crap battery or the charging system but you can only get a half dozen hard cranks before she gives up the ghost so I just use a battery tender and with my upgraded pumper carb I can kick start her easy enough as long as I use the choking sequence.

Full choke... kick till she fires and dies
half choke... kick and let her run and warm up
choke off... when warm she will Idle down a tad and now you get full throttle and no cut out.

This has always been a concern to me with these bikes, The battery dies quick and they suck to try and kick start. I would suggest a carb upgrade (preferably pumper for the extra gas) first to anyone. Not just for performance but for the ability to get her running with a dead battery. it's cheaper than a booster pack too!
A good tune of stock carb is the same as tuning a pumper or Mikuni.
They all work the same basically and the pumper just adds a squirt of fuel on fast throttle twist - BUT as far as kick starting and most running goes all 3 are pretty much the same or a very minor change.

IMO (YES I sell a kit, I know I know...) learning on the stock carb is prob the best starting point cause it requires the same skills on the other 2.
Cheaper n smarter to learn on stock carb IMHO.