View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The oil coolers are suction based, so you need to prime the system.

As for the partial oil change. Normally I wouldn't bother going to these lengths, but seeing as with the cooler installed it makes up about a third of the total oil capacity I care a bit more.

I go over all of my bikes like this once a year. Not sure if a sticky is warranted, but I could always add something to the resource guide.

The oil burning with 5w40 T6 doesn't surprise me with how thin it is. That was the main reason I never touched it. Probably not an issue with these little motors, but it does make them more noisy, which I don't like.
This is/was a diesel truck engine oil. Cold blooded engines that are liquid cooled. Absolutely necessary to have such thin oil in order to get adequate lubrication to the over-head gear, which includes fuel injectors on all but one brand of over the road engine. Diesels are normally slow to warm up, because they are constant pressure engines instead of constant temperature engines like the one in your car. BUT, a heavier oil is indicated for air-cooled engines which run at a higher temperature...ARH