View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #19

awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Two suggestions. If you are approaching a junction where there are potential idiots that may pull out in front of you, get those fingers over the clutch and brake levers.
Practice situational awareness - at any given moment you should be able to know where and what vehicles are in relation to you. Pay attention to how vehicles behave before they do certain maneuvers, such as lane changes, and you will get really good at reading traffic. Be aware of the road surface - trash, gravel, pot holes- as well as your surroundings (light poles, curbs, parked cars). It might seem like a lot of work at first, but it eventually becomes second nature.

Other tip, while the horn can be a handy tool, do not rely on it to be your only attention getting device. I ride with my lights on at all times, and in heavy enough traffic I will often have my high beam on (during the day).

The best thing you can do is practice emergency stops. Having a muscle memory of how much braking you can apply can make the difference between crashing or avoiding said idiots. Always remember that if the front skids, let off. If the rear skids, stay in it.
Muscle memory and awareness is what we teach in firearms instruction....interesting that concept applies to bike riding as well! Thanks for the tips!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".