View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 11:01 PM   #21

Motorcycle course I took in Feb talked about Risk Management and really that seems to be what it is all about. Managing your risk in any given situation. So I always ask myself what are the risks today? The firearms analogy regarding situation may be better termed "situational awareness." What are the risks here and now associated with my situation? Alertness to the environment is critical and why I ask myself before a ride "do I have the alertness necessary to be safe today." Despite all preparations, complacency is the battle and will get you into trouble. I was riding on a logging road couple of weeks ago and had been riding for about 2 hours so familiarity and fatigue may factor when I came around an unfamiliar tight sweeping right 45 degree turn and looked over my shoulder to the inside of the turn and when I looked back the bike moved right a couple of feet and off a steep rock road edge of 10 inches and down she went. I was only going about 15 mph so I just stood up but I strained my hamstring and thigh muscle. About getting better at risk management!