View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 11:57 PM   #28

Amen on the gloves Dan. Your hands and eyes are probably the most valuable things you posses. When I took this last spill I high sided at 60mph, got body slammed into the pavement and slid for several feet after. But thanks to the helmet jacket and Jean's the only road rash I suffered was on my right palm. And I got lucky, even it wasn't too bad but I should have been wearing gloves.

My problem is I have very large hands and have always had trouble finding gloves, shoes and hats to fit. I worked as a welder/fabricator for 20yrs and only found one company that made kidskin gloves that were big enough. A couple months ago I ordered a cheap Amazon pair in the largest size and I couldn't get them over my knuckles. I might try some Mechanix gloves but they don't afford alot of protection.

I will say one more thing, when you climb on a motorcycle you assume the risk. The freedom you feel when you lean around a tight curve and power out with the wind in your face.. should also be a reminder of just how exposed to the elements you really are. I got complacent, hadn't had a serious motorcycle accident in 30yrs so I got stupid and careless. And the human body is pretty fragile when exposed to G-forces and sudden stops. So wear the gear, I'm a firm believer in that. But getting body slammed at 60mph on the pavement? Doesn't matter what gear you've got on, something's going to give, something's gonna break.

Last edited by OneLeggedRider; 10-30-2019 at 01:57 AM.