Thread: Carb issue
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 11:31 PM   #1

Carb issue

if you read my taotao thread from the other week, you know I had resolved my hard starting and low power issues with a new CDI, Pod filter (my only option at the time) and some rejetting. I was running a 90 main (upped from 78) with the pod. I took a look at my plug after my ride home and found I was running lean.. The next morning, I stopped by the scooter shop and picked up a 95. I figured I could make the five mile ride to work before installing it but I was wrong and overheated in the last mile, right after going up a long hill. The overheat resulted in catastrophic failure in the form of a shattered piston. It was actually pretty impressive how badly it failed. Fortunately I work near the Denver warehouse of ezscootshop. I emailed them and was able to go pickup a new 47mm cylinder kit, Head, full gasket set and 98 jet for $70. It was a couple days before I could do the work But I've had it running again since last monday. I did a full rebuild to make sure I removed all the schrapnal.

Anyway, It had been running fine with the 98 but definitely on the rich side.. Jet black plug and would sometimes bog down if I opened the throttle too quickly. Today I decided to play with jetting a little and when I opened the carb, I found the float to be half flooded (one side, about 60% full) Im not even sure how it got in there as I wasn't able to get any out.. Anyway, No big deal, I have a spare carb for parts. however after installing the new float, the engine would immediately bog down (lean.. pretty sure) once I gave it gas.. It was almost like the proper float wasn't allowing the bowl to fill up enough. If I let it sit for a little while, I could get a short burst out of it before it would die or try to again. I tried 95&98 jets. After a little frustration, I tried sticking the flooded float back in and voila, It runs great again. Currently running with the 95.

TLDR: Was rejetting after BBK install/rebuild, found I had a half flooded float, tried new float, scoot bogs down with throttle is opened. Reinstalled flooded float, works great. I don't see any obvious ways to adjust the float and don't wanna just start bending things.. I considered adding some weight to the good float (should only need a gram or two) but that is leaving a problem unsolved.

Thanks for reading,

James

Last edited by silofox; 08-20-2019 at 12:28 AM.