View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #46

"Back on topic"...

Do you do a lot of "short trips"? A cold engine even when tuned properly will not get the best fuel economy possible... short trips have also been known to cause a little extra carbon build up on the piston and exhaust valve(s)

When you replaced the piston rings, did you check the cylinder for warping? Did you hone the cylinder?

Also... when is the last time you cleaned the engine from carbon build up (piston and valves)?

I have a 197cc Lifan push rod engine, an "aftermarket" Mikuni VM26 clone carb... I think the jetting is somewhere around a 20 (summer) or 25 (winter) pilot and a 110 main..., Denso Iridium Spark Plug, a Denso Coil on Plug upgrade, ceramic wheel bearings, and an FMF T2 muffler... I'm also riding the bike around 5,000 to 13,000 feet above sea level

Bike gets anywhere from 50 to 110 miles per gallon (U.S.) depending on where I ride it, how I behave with the throttle, and of course my "need for speed" (83+ mph Chinese Dual Sport)... I find that I actually get the best fuel economy when I "accelerate hard/fast up to the speed limit" and then "putz around like grama does" (most of my 80 to 110 mpg fills comes from that style of hard accelerating/grama cruising)... if you "grama" your way up to speed you are probably using all the fuel trying to slowly accelerate over a long period of time

Say you go slower to accelerate up to speed, you get about 20 mpg over that long 1/4 mile trip to accelerate up to speed... compared to a much lower 7 mpg over the first hundred or so feet when you blast up to speed quickly and then you get 80 to 100+ mpg the rest of the 1/4 mile while "at speed"

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.