View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 02:35 AM   #30

Well after much debate, a few fistfights, and some heartfelt apologies at the last Bored Member meeting it has been decided that a 2.5 gear ratio is NOT infact the "sweet spot" for these little China bikes.

A broad consensus of our riders who weigh 175+lbs and don't live in the flatlands feel that a 2.6 ratio is more to our liking and J. Money concurs (not sure why but Jay's hoping that moniker will stick). Even at his meager 140lbs he says the 2.3 ratio felt like power assisted coasting and is really pleased with his current 2.6 ratio.

Justin, another member of the study has been playing with different ratios before upgrading to the 520 setup. He tried the 2.5 per my recommendation (he's currently 2.86) and there was no speed increase and a significant power loss in 4th and 5th, so he wants to go to a 2.75 which I strongly disagree with because that was my last ratio and it was a pinch too low.

I currently am at 2.53 with 13/33 sprockets (which J. Money loves), but if I'm not happy with it I'm gonna go to 13/34 which is a 2.61 ratio.

**Also if you go to the 520 do not go bigger than a 12 tooth front sprocket. I had to cut out a significant portion of the sprocket cover to make clearance for the beefier chain.