View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #11

Now that i have worked out a deal to pick up a second YJ tub it has sparked some more thoughts on this project. The second tub will be used to build a utility trailer. The chassis was cut off just ahead of the firewall where it started to curve up to clear the front axle. Will go into a build plan on that in a moment.

For the Jeep itself:

Replace the front springs with matching BDS 3.5" lift springs

Replace the 2" Bl with a Daystar 1" BL
Besttop Highrock tire carrier.

Stock bumper hoops on the rear

custom built receiver hitch. All of the ones out there for the Jeeps seem to consist of flat plates welded to square tubing with a couple tabs to tie in more bolt points. But lack any sort of bracing. So the plan is to copy one of these hitches but add some gussets in the middle and maybe a couple small ones inside the bumper hoops.

The reason for the bumper/tire carrier/hitch set up is to avoid parts interference even when i go up to 33" tires. This is why i am going to keep using a body lift instead of going full stock there. The tire carrier itself is a lot like the old CJ tub mounted carriers. But it also has a linkage system that connects to the tailgate. So no separate latch for the carrier as it swings back and forth with the gate.

The parts from the original plan i am keeping:

Either Rancho 5000 shocks for now or Bilstien 5100 series shocks. More then likely Ranchos for now to get it running then upgrade to the 5100s or some King shocks later down the line.

Transfer case drop kit to improve the driveshaft angle especially the rear. This will be combined with an SYE kit eventually. At the same time a True Neutral kit will be added to the Tcase. This will allow flat towing without spinning parts in the drivetrain.

Warn 8274 winch on 5x2" rectangular tubing bumper up front.

Interior plans:

Tuffy or Similar CJ style locking glove box
Kicker 4x6 speakers in dash and vdp wheel well speaker pods or overhead sound bar.
Center console built from .50 Cal ammo can

replacing the rear seat so my nieces can ride in the Jeep.

As for the trailer itself:

I will use the springs that came out of the front of the jeep for this combined with a trailer axle. Ideally i will manage to use a trailer axle with the same wheel bolt pattern as the Jeep. If not it is not a major problem as i could adapt it to match the Jeep with adapters. The jeep itself may get some adapters to run some Turbine wheels from my C10 on it.

Cutting out the firewall between the cowl and toeboard
Replacing the dash itself with a flat panel that goes down the floor. Combined with a flat panel in place of the firewall itself this will create a void to put a small battery as well as various trailer related wiring inside of.

The tank is still on the donor jeep so i plan on using it as an aux fuel tank. Still working out how i am going to connect it to the jeep itself. I may just go with the k.i.s.s principle here and just have a transfer hose in a compartment on the tongue.

This pic shows what i have in mind for the trailer for the most part other then the firewall mods. What i may do at a later point is convert the tow jeep to having a soft top so i will probably move the hardtop to the trailer.
Attached Images

'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)