View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theENIGMATIC
from what I understand, its illegal to sell a vehicle in CA without a carb certificate?
Not sure where you got the bike but it sounds like it was an illegal sale?

Sounds like Cali can be a bitc$ ........ :twisted:
CARB is a California-specific document that goes a few steps above and beyond the US EPA certification. Bikes that get EPA cert are legal for 49 states, with Cali making you jump one extra hoop. Shineray is CARB certified for off-road, hence the green sticker. A green sticker gives a rider 365 days of off-road enjoyment. Red-stickers are a little bit more strict, and allow a rider certain times of the year to ride a bike off-road. However, green-sticker bikes used to be able to get street registered, but that loophole has changed, for the worse.

I tried to used the "illegal" sale thing for his sake, at least as far as a civil court for suing for damages, but there was no contract, as he stated. However, to me, he should still sue the guy in small claims for $900 and state that he cannot get the bike registered. In California, when you sell a car, the seller is required to make sure the car passes an emissions test. thus, buyers are not stuck with a bike. Since 'absolut' thought he was buying a streeted bike, and the seller did not sell him one, I would think that he could get his money back, at least, using the same or similar logic as a car needing to pass an emissions test (bikes don't get tested there)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard