View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #6

I rode my RX3 5,000 miles in a month, all throughout the southwest and across the lower half of the Continental Divide Trail.

I can honestly say that while I am grateful to have done so... I never actually cared for it that much. I came to the conclusion that there are plenty of things the bike can do, whether marginally or competently, but there's only one thing it does outstandingly: it's cheap to buy. That's it.

My other bikes excel in so many ways, and are genuinely actively fun to ride. The RX3 really wasn't, in comparison. It was never really comfortable, it was grossly underpowered, and it was only decent at its purpose -- off-road touring.

I threw money at it to resolve it's issues; I got a bigger screen and the Seat Concepts seat, and I changed the sprockets for more response. Those things helped, but not enough. It took a C- bike up to a C+. But it was cheap! I kept telling myself that. Yes, it was cheap. But I didn't find it all that enjoyable.

It ran, it got me where I was going, but it couldn't handle hills well, it couldn't hold freeway speeds well, it was painful on long trips, and it was twitchy at high speed, the brakes were weak, and the constant maintenance and 2,000 mile oil changes and near daily chain lubing and adjusting and cleaning... It was a burden.

But it was cheap! $2,500 with only 18 miles on it.

I tried to resolve the underpowered issue with a 298cc big bore kit, and made some disastrous mistakes that resulted in parting out the bike and getting rid of it. And truth be told, I'm not broken up about it. I am actually a tad relieved.

Yes, the RX3 is an outstanding bargain. It's an incredible amount of bike for the money (at least, for used money). The problem is, it's not that good of a bike on its own, and I have come to the conclusion that I would rather spend more to get a better bike that excels in all ways, rather than keep trying to convince myself to continue on with a mediocre bike just because it was a steal.

So take that for what it's worth. Some folks can afford better, some can't. For the money the RX3 is a lot of bike, and if that's all the money you've got, and you're willing to maintain it, then go for it. But other makers offer much more enjoyable rides, although at higher costs. If you can afford one of those, get it, because in the long run you're likely to be happier overall.