View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #22

Dude:

If you are still feeling the 'pebbles' from the front wheel, try propping the bike up so the front wheel is off the ground. With the wheel free to rotate, turn the whee, and feel for roughness in the bearings. If the bearings got damaged, such as by being assembled w/o lube, or by impact(no idea where), you might feel a grating and rough bearing as you turn the whee. If so, replacement bearings are the likely solution. You may be able to get them from Ace Hardware, Fastenal, etc, Fastenal will ship to a local store at very low cost, and they have many sizes in stock. The rim could have runout in both radial and lateral directions, but you would again have to get it off the ground, set up a fixed pointer, and spin it while watching for variance in the gap between rim and pointer. A filled can(soup or a peanut butter jar filled with water can act as a stable base, and a pencil and masking tape can hold the pointer pretty well at low cost. If you have radial or lateral runout, you can 'true' the wheel by adjusting spoke tension. It is not hard, but you have to get a feel for it.
I always wanted a honda 90 or even a 50, and getting a 125 with the same classic appearance is appealing. Unless you do a lot of heavy braking, the drum brakes should be totally adequate, IMO.
Has that been your experience? From what I have read, this is the same engine as on the other BD125-xx Grom type machines. Is it reputed to be pretty decent, or would it be better to keep looking? I am pretty mechanically inclined, so have no maintenance fears except parts sources.
Also check that the tire pressure is good. That designe tread will tend to ripple or warp if the pressure is low, and the longish blocks of tread will tend to wear the front edge and get all rippled if the pressure is not kept up. That can give buzzy feeling also.
Would you buy it again?
tom