View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #13

Location: Living in SE Ohio for now. Good weather, some nice people.
Doh! Enduro. You mean me or the bike? I'm mostly over that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
if you are looking for something to abuse in the dirt, this is not the right course. these bikes will not hold up to as much abuse as japanese bikes do. if you plan light trail riding, forest service road riding, and some paved back roads to get there and back, then it's a terrific option. The only weak point I found was with my swingarm pivot. it wore out pretty quick for me. I did not do any repairs before selling mine. I expect it could be remedied though.

these bikes are for tinkerers. they are not push-button-and-go types of bikes.

Hey, thanks for the tips. A tinkerer I am, will always be, can't change that ... My days of hard rides and wearing down mountains while thrashing machines are behind me. I've owned and/or ridden most all the brands/sizes and have partaken in most all genres of riding.

Today I seek a practical machine for a practical purpose and wish it to be the best I can buy for the price I'm willing to pay. I am convinced that this course is initially the least expensive, however, maintenance costs a lot and, a lot of maintenance costs a lot more. Though I am concerned about durability, reliability, broken spokes, bent wheels, soft metals and, lack of rim locks, my primary concerns are functionality, ease of use and, joy of ownership.

The swingarm pivot repair, did you price that? This failure is included in my list of deal breakers when buying used. It can be very costly as a percentage of the bikes' value.
I've been buying Chinese products for years, none of us were really given a choice, so we all know a great many of the shortcomings that come from using cheaper materials and labor. When I see the same Make/Model/Year of a bike I bought brand new selling today for %400 of what I paid decades ago, It's a stark reminder that quality no longer comes first. If I buy, when I buy, I doubt I'll be surprised about any aspect of the purchase.

STAY CALM STAY FOCUSED STAY ALIVE.