View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMonk View Post
Sooo you got rid of the chinese clone because you dont stunt and didnt want to ride with grom guys but your sig shows you sold that and bought a 2020 Grom? Whats the real story boss, what issues did you have with the icebear?
No issues with the Icebear. In fact the person I sold it to owns a used bike dealership. I don't sell grom clones and there's enough evidence on the facebook groups to show that the Icebears are better quality. The guy that started the whole ZS190cc swap has an Icebear. Several others have the Icebear Lil Monster (SSR Razkull clone).

At the time that I sold it, I was no longer riding around as much as I thought I would be. I was busy with work, wedding, etc. Lots of travel time for work and so forth.

Once I got married, we decided to sell my townhouse because the townhouse was too small and then we of course had to get the house in selling order. Then moved completely across the city. Once the move was done and things settled down... I started to want another bike for tinkering. Start modding cars to over double the factory power and it gets expensive. The bike gave me something to build and mess with.

So at the time... I was looking at a bigger bike like the CB300R, R3, Duke 390... Had the wife sold on the CB300R till the sales guy mentioned top speed into the triple digits. After that, she pretty much told me I'm allowed a Grom, a z125, a TNT135, or any other mini. Someone close to us was in a horrible bike wreck around this time.

Seeing that I built a Grom clone already and wanted something with fuel injection... I decided not to get a Grom Clone. Can I install an EFI kit? Yes... but that's a LOT more work than just having the bike come with FI.

The other deciding factor is that for the cost of a ZS190cc, I can grab a 186cc bore kit (and save a little. Kit is $550). For the ZS190cc... I'd have to get the engine ($650) and the EFI kit that's sold on facebook is around $400 I believe. At that point... I'm at $1050 for the 190 and EFI. Then take in the time to install the EFI kit on top of the ZS190... A lot easier to do the Grom and do a 186cc bore kit from DHMotoring.

Other things... The Grom plastics are definitely better quality than the Booms, Icebears, Taotao bikes. No need to swap by just buying the Grom.

There's fork kits for the Grom suspension by Ohlins, Racing bros, etc. With the Grom clones, you'd have to swap the Grom forks in.

So... taking out all the minis that don't have FI... left us with the z125, Grom, Benelli TNT135, and Kymco Spade. I considered the TNT135... but the aftermarket support and dealership network just are high enough yet. I have very little time already so I want this to be as easy as possible. This knocked out the Kymco Spade as well. The Kymco Spade was actually my favorite out of the whole group... But... I don't have to only have 1 or 2 options for an exhaust. I don't want to not have aftermarket support. Etc. etc. So that lead to the z125 versus the Grom. The Kawasaki dealership didn't want to negotiate. The Honda dealership had a HUGE sale. So ended up with the Grom.

TL,DR:

I didn't switch because I wanted a Grom. I switched because I sold my bike... then wanted another bike... planned on getting a full size bike...wife vetoed it due to top speed...looked at all the minis with fuel injection...wanted one with good aftermarket so I can mod and tinker...chose the Grom due to the HUGE sale the dealership had.

Could have very well ended up with the z125 instead.