View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Here is my weird take on it, and this is coming from a guy that has put a lot of time and a little bit of money into his CG clone trying to get more performance out of it.

You could spend quite a lot of money chasing power out of one of these engines. stainless valves, custom piston, cam, etc. Heck, even a small ihi turbocharger. You might get an impressive 25hp or so out of it, even without forced induction

Or, you could buy a used XR250R engine, instantly have 25hp, gain a 6th gear, have factory reliability, and all you need is to maybe fab a couple of mount brackets.

Sounds like a strange thing coming from me, but my pursuit of better performance from my Hawk engine is purely just because I love to tinker around. My whole goal was to get as much as I could with minimal investment. Porting the head myself only cost me maybe 40 bucks. The cam I ordered, 95 bucks. The carb I have, which I could have gone cheaper and probably had the same results, also 95 bucks (cheaper route is about 35 dollars).

At the end of the day, if I took this sub 15hp rated engine and got it to make even 22hp, I would be happy and impressed with the results. One thing I have always been cognizant of is the nature of this engine. It is a 2 valve pushrod engine made in China. It will have limitations, and it will never be as good as many other engines out there.
Very well put sir. I've considered swaps more and more lately, your right it would be much easier made power. But then I would just end up tinkering with that