View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #1

RX3 with Delphi EFI - Starting Issue

Hello

This issue has developed over time and now its severity has increased.
At the beginning the bike wouldn't start with only the self start button as always and i had to pump a little throttle. With time the morning cold starts were more and more difficult and black smoke would come out on 1st few engine cycles with smell of fuel. I checked and cleaned the air filter, my mechanic suggested to clean O2 sensor so I did that too by dipping it in petrol overnight and the installing it. The throttle body was cleaned along with injector and this brought the problem back to a milder state but not resolved.

Now again after 2 weeks or so the problem has intensified. So I started with code display (ON OFF ON OFF ON) but that didn't work. No codes. I opened the spark plug and it was black and wet with fuel. I removed cable from coil directly touching it on tip of spark plug and found out that no spark is jumping from the coil. Meanwhile, i tried the ignition coil & cable from another rx3 but that didn't work either. Whereas the ignition coil & cable removed from my bike worked fine on the other rx3. So I turned my attention to fuel accumulating in the combustion chamber.

Then I had an idea. I tried disconnecting the fuel pump connector beneath the tank and tried to get the bike started by cranking the self starter. And it worked the bike started for 3 seconds and then due to fuel pump disconnected it was shut off. I didn't turn the kill switch off and on which would cause the engine check to run and connected the pump connector, cranked the self starter and the bike started on 1st self.

Now every time i turn on the kill switch when fuel pump is connected, the bike does not start. But if i disconnect fuel pump and crank a few time the excess fuel in the combustion chamber is gone and after connecting fuel pump the bike starts on next self start provided i didn't turn the kill switch off and on.
The code that is displayed is 0230 on the MIL (10 blinks, 2blinks, 3blinks, 10blinks) related to FPR Coil Circuit Low Voltage of Open.
After the bike was started, i fixed the seat and took it for around 40 to 45 km ride. It went smoothly, no missing, no stalling, zero issues at all. But when it comes to starting, the bike refuses to start as there is too much fuel being injected in the chamber which makes the spark plug wet.