View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #6

How much offroad experience do you have, and where are you planning on rallying it? I'm not sure what sort of rallys are available in Malaysia? For better form/function for this bike, you'll need to make it lighter if you want to race it.

Sprocket height shouldn't be a big issue, it depends on the size of the sprockets/how much space you have to work with.

For the fork swap, just compare the size of the bearings vs the steering stem size on the front end you want to swap on. If it's easier, just get another front end off of something, remove the front end on the RX3, and compare, so you can understand what I'm talking about (even something that you wouldn't consider swapping, just to see how things vary in that context).

Any forks that would be worth getting probably won't be 'easy' to change out, especially since they're USD forks, with conventional forks, usually it was just a matter of the stanchion diameter, but with USD fork tube, they're usually two different diameters, and there's usually a taper involved, so again, you just need to get a set of forks.

This video explains pretty well how a front end would be swapped:

You'll need to measure your bearings/races to determine what can go in (you'll need to know steering head length, too, when you're trying to make it fit all together). https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/In...972/index.html

Once you find out your bearing dimensions (because Zongshen won't be on this site), find a bike with the same bearing dimensions, and compare that to the bike whose forks you have. https://www.allballsracing.com/forkconversion

Just a recommendation, I've heard good things about KYB SSS forks, which were used on a lot of post 2000 Yamaha YZ/WR bikes. Racetech could build them for you, but I'd suggest learning some of how to do that yourself, as rallying is expensive if you don't do it yourself, and depending on the skills/experience of your mechanic, dealing with something like a relatively modern MX fork will be an entirely different universe compared to what the average Malaysian would be riding around on.

I would look on some Australian forums, as they're closer to you, and they like to rally stuff. I'm not sure who you could get to make a frame in Malaysia, Australia might be a better bet, but you might also have to look into how difficult it would be to import something like that into your country. That can be very difficult/impossible depending on the country. I know of a guy who does custom frames for rally bikes in Aus, but since you'd probably have to figure out yourself (or pay him to do this) to design the frame, it might make more sense to start with a bike that is suited to rally.

Potentially, if you know of anyone who fabricates cages for racecars, you could get them to duplicate the frame out of better steel in country. That's where I'd look.