Thread: Orion 150XL
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 10:30 PM   #5

RXB150 carb

Goob here! I commented on another thread (in the Dual Sport/Enduro section I think) about my RXB150 carb experience. Here is a re-cap.

I was able to get the Mikuni VM26 flange mount dialed in pretty good after a few tries. It wouldn't idle at all right out of the crate and it had me worried.

What worked was very strange. I am in Denver at 5280 ft, so I expected to have to lean out both the Pilot and Main jets. What I ended up with was a 27.5 Pilot (stock 20) which is richer since this is a fuel jet, the stock Main (forget what size that is), and moving the needle clip one notch up...leaner.

For the Pilot Jet "tuning"....I just kept going larger until I was able to get the screw at about 1 1/2 turns out. To get it started at the beginning I was almost 3 turns out...which told me I needed a richer jet. As the jet got larger...I had to tweak the idle screw to allow some more air in to bring things under control.

It starts & runs great. I just have to choke to get started, then take the choke off, let it warm up a couple minutes, and then ride off. Idle is a bit higher than I am used to at about 1500-1700 and it does bounce just a bit. I ran it at 8500+ ft for some trail riding and didn't change anything. It would bog when on constant mid-throttle in the flats, but a quick blip would clear it up. If I lived up there I would re-tune.

One thing I didn't like about this carb was the access to adjust the Pilot screw with the carb installed. I got a replacement screw with a knob that works good for tweaks.

This brings me to the suggestion of a Nibbi for the 150. The Nibbi has the idle screw/knob and the Pilot Screw on the right hand side. This will not work at all for the 150...you will have a hell of a time reaching thru from the right side.

I am replacing the current flange mount VM26 with a spigot mount VM-26-606. This carb has both the idle screw/knob and Pilot Screw on the left side. This means they will be fully accessible on the 150.

ss27gogetta did this swap right of the bat because he got frustrated trying to dial in the VM26 Flange that came with the bike.

I am currently running this carb on my CSC TT250 and it is very nice, but the frame blocks my access to the Pilot Screw. So I am stealing the carb for the 150 and replacing it on the 250 with a Nibbi PE28. This will give me full screw access for the 250.

Orion RXB 150XL