View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #1

Lifan Xpect 200 charging issues

Hey guys new poster and relatively new member here. I need some help and collective brainstorming to figure out the charging issue I am having with my Lifan Xpect as my technical expertise has reached its limit and I cannot find any solutions with searches here. So first off, I got the bike in June and did all the assembly and pre run checks with a buddy of mine that has an Xpect as well, i then took it for a ride and it did awesome! Ran like a new bike should. After about 10 minutes of riding it started stuttering and then died on me. After some checks turns out the battery died. Trickle charged it for a few days and put it back in. Again it ran like a top but after about 25-30 mins it started stuttering and died, again dead battery. So I did some checks.

I first recharged the battery and let the bike run and checked the voltage, it started at 12.8 but began dropping so I revved it to see if it'll charge and it did not. I checked all fuses to make sure they were good and they were so I went ahead and did some tests on the stator. I checked continuity, resistance, and short to grounds and the tests all came back good. I then tested the output, the stator was putting out 5vAC at idle and 9-10 vAC at 3000,5000 rpms. Assuming the stator was the issue I contacted the seller and got a new stator sent in. After installing the new stator it still refused to charge the battery. I charged and load tested the battery and determined that it was good and did not have a dead cell so I assumed the rectifier was the issue.

I ordered a new rectifier that was the same unit as the factory one and installed it, and again, it refused to charge. So after racking my brain for a while I went and checked all grounds on the bike, cleaned them up and made sure they had a good connection. But alas, that was not the issue. So I got with my buddy and we swapped a rectifier and battery from his bike onto mine to see if known good parts would narrow down or fix the charging issue. Unfortunately it did not, and now I am here. So any advice, tips, things to check, or solutions would be greatly appreciated! I will also put a video of a multimeter reading the battery as it runs and a video of me explaining what I've done to chase this electrical gremlin down below.