View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hi, I have a Boom Vader on order and want to upgrade to a VM22 carburetor right away. My question is can I simply remove the stock carb and install the VM22 carb when putting my new bike together? I read if u take the carb off when the gas is off the bike shuts of the gas in general? How do I make sure my gas is set to ON before I install the new VM22 carb? Do I need to run the bike with the stock carb and then do the upgrade?
First off, just get it running with the stock carb, just to function check everything first. The stock carb isn't any part of the final assembly, so it's already all put together. Changing it upon assembly is introducing one more unknown variable that if you encounter starting or running issues right out of the gate, will make it a real pain to diagnose.

I'm not sure I follow your question about the bike shutting off the gas in general. The stock carb has the fuel shutoff valve built into it, there is no external valve. So if you pull the stock carb completely off, you'll need to pinch off or plug the fuel feed line.

I put an external fuel valve on mine to be able to shut off the gas and service the vm22 carburetor without issue.

To make sure the fuel is ON, the valve handle is vertical. If you install the vm22 without a new fuel valve, then the gas will always be on. Makes it so that when you drain the float bowl to change jets, it'll drain forever until the tank is empty- clearly not what you want. Again, you'd have to either pinch off the line (which can damage it), or pull it off and plug it. Easier to use a $4 fuel petcock and just turn it off.

So yes, I'd get it all assembled, oil changed, levers and cables adjusted, valves adjusted, get it running and dialed in. Test ride it for at least a few miles and make sure she's copacetic.

THEN, go bawls wild on your upgrades. I'd still recommend changing only one thing per major system at a time, test and function check, then go onto the next thing.

Nothing sucks more than changing 10 things on the bike and then something doesn't work right and you have no idea where the issue is because you changed so much at once.